The video looks amazing!
The Boring Company has a new focus. Yesterday, CEO Elon Musk took to Twitter to let the world know that the company will prioritize mass transportation over individual vehicle usage.
According to Musk, the Boring Company`s tunnels will "prioritize pedestrians & cyclists over cars".
He didn`t say that the tunnels would never support cars, but he believes that surrounding communities will benefit most if the Boring Company focuses on mass transportation.
Most notably, Musk tweeted a video that shows what this vision might look like.
In the video, a concept pod of sorts fills up with people at ground level. The pod`s destination, LAX Terminal 2, is lit up on its front and side like a hyperfuturistic bus sign.
Next, the pod descends into the tunnel below, utilizing what looks a lot like the car elevator Musk unveiled last year, until it reaches a track. Then, it speeds through a tunnel at what the video proclaims is about 200 kmh (124 mph) while other pods zoom by on the surrounding tracks.
Musk described the pod-like vehicle in a response to another Twitter user`s question: "I guess you could say it`s a 150 mph (241 km/h), underground, autonomous, electric bus that automatically switches between tunnels and lifts."
Better video coming soon, but it would look a bit like this: pic.twitter.com/C0iJPi8b4U— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) March 9, 2018
He also described the plan as an "urban loop system," noting that a single city could be home to hundreds of small stations.
These many smaller stations would blend more easily into the urban landscape than the large subway or train stations currently used, according to Musk`s tweets.
Previous Boring Company plans seemed to center around much larger, train-like hyperloop systems. However, this new pivot is not a complete departure from previous plans.
"At the Boring Company, we plan to build low cost, fast-to-dig tunnels that will house new high-speed transportation systems," a Boring Company spokesperson told Wired last year.
While the vehicle and station design might be changing to place a greater focus on mass transit, the Boring Company`s primary goal remains the same. They
- This Unreal Storm Cloud Is Totally Legit, And Meteorologists Can Explain Why
- Google diversity figures show little change
- Tech Tent - the bumpy road to self-driving cars
- Top 10 Healthiest Foods
- Here`s What The Best Case Scenario For Nuclear Warfare Is Like, According to Science
- Google Created AI That Just Needs A Few Snapshots To Make 3D Models Of Its Surroundings
- iPhone security loophole used by police closed by Apple
- Sony faces growing Fortnite backlash at E3
- BREAKING: Antarctica Has Lost 3 Trillion Tonnes of Ice Since 1992, And It`s Speeding Up
- Do You Really Need to Eject USB Drives